Here’s a link roundup on alternative business models for making money online. The posts discuss issues like revenue potential, what it takes to succeed, and sample sites using these techniques.
General Overview of Online Business Models
Online Business (Revenue) Models that Work
Ad Model — Advertisers pay
Examples: stand alone blog, information site, ancillary revenues of other sites
- Ad networks Part 9: Adsense, Ad Networks and Direct Sales
- Individual advertisers/sponsors/partners Corporate Sponsorships offer Musicians Another Revenue Model
- Ad Sense and PPC Pay Per Click Ads: Intro, Video and Links
- Affiliate marketing — slim margins, lots of competition, research partners Affiliate Programs: Intro, Video and Link, Commission Junction, LinkShare
- Data mining — lead generation, rental of subscription lists
Customer Models — Customers pay
Examples: e-commerce and product sites, auction sites, service sites, brochure sites, infomercial site
- Product Sales — physical products and software products like ebooks, recruitment tools, ebooks.
- Service Sales — online services like transaction fees and micropayments for references or offline services like babysitting. Success factors– develop related products to supplement. Use local directories and link exchange
- Content and Information Sales–syndication, brand licensing Blogburst syndication as example
- Memberships and Subscriptions “Paywalls don’t work – or rather, they work against your main source of revenue: advertising. Any money you make from selling subscriptions will be outweighed by what you lose on advertising through having fewer readers.” Making Money from Journalism: New Media Business Models and Subscription business model and Paying for Ads
- Premium/Fremium Part 12: Against the “Freemium” Biz Model and Part 7: Alternatives to the Advertising Model?
- Tip, Bonus Tip Jar as Revenue Model
Referral Models, those referred pay
Examples: social networks
- Personal Referrals Business Models for Social Networks: Monetizing Social Capital, The Long Tail of Cool, & The Friends List. . ” Accelerate Off-Platform Transactional Behavior.
- Business Referrals. Local directory referrals, as discussed in Online Directores
Related Posts on Business Models
Check out this page of related posts on social network business models.