If you are starting or trying to grow a social network or online community, you need to know Jeremiah Owyang’s 9 activities to jump start a community.
Owyang calls himself a “web strategist” and has just left Forrester Research. He “strives to define and deliver user and community needs, business goals, and web technology to craft and deliver long term successful web programs for companies.” While he mainly works on social media strategy for large corporations, Owyang’s recommendations apply to smaller communities as well.
Activities to Grow a Social Network or Community
Based on years of working on web and social media in California, he’s come up with 9 activities to launch or grow your online community or social network.
- Create compelling content on a recurring basis.
- Reward users who fill out their profile.
- Invite community influencers and advocates to the community first.
- Encourage interaction through conversations.
- Reward top contributors.
- Centralize your community around your real-world events.
- Virtual events integrate community.
- Integrate the community with your website.
- Encourage employees to get active.
He’s got the big picture from experience. To implement any one of them, you need to create a separate list of tactics.
Check the details in Owyang’s post, How to Kick Start A Community.
Did he miss anything?
What do you think of his points? Please leave me a comment.
Find Related Posts
Learn more about Social Network Engagement